COURSE # MGM-243
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OF TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION
?the emphasis is the development of technology strategies for maximizing competitiveness...
Sustained competitiveness in the present environment is mainly achieved through the development or acquisition of technology and its application. The main objective of this course is to help managers bridge the gap between business strategy and technology, and to enable mangers of organizations to realize the benefits of innovation.
Participants are introduced to the process of technology strategy formulation, implementation and management in a multi-business technical organization, and the integration of technology strategy with business strategy. The emphasis is the development of technology strategies for maximizing competitiveness. Various methods of technology planning and forecasting are studied. Participants are exposed to the various databases that are useful for technical planning and forecasting.
Applications and benefits:
You will benefit by enhancing your understanding of the:
- The key questions and detailed approaches involved in strategic planning in technical organizations.
- Strategic thinking in management of technical organizations and the continuous evaluations of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats faced by these organizations.The key questions and detailed approaches involved in strategic planning in technical organizations.
- The application of the life-cycle of technology within technical organizations in today?s technology-dominated environment and need for innovation and creativity within these organizations.
- The interfaces among corporate, marketing, production, technology, and R & D strategies.
- The application of technology forecasting techniques.
- The application of critical and systematic thinking for technology planning.
- Product development and marketing.
Who should attend:
Strategic vision, leadership and execution are indispensable ingredients for success. Their unique role in sustainable management of technology and innovation are the subject of this course. The tools, methodologies, metrics and case studies presented here offer invaluable resource for design, business development, marketing and management teams.
- Strategy and Technology
- Technology and Industry Structure
- Technology and Strategic Segmentation
- Technology and Industry Evolution
- Technology-based Strategies
- Technology and Competitive Advantage
- Competitive Consequences of Technological Change
- Technological Characteristics of Competitive Domains
- Dynamics of Change in Competitive Domains
- A Framework for the Analysis of Technology Emergence
- Influence of Environmental Trends on Competition
- Technology Intelligence
- Technology Intelligence
- Mapping Technology Environment
- Mechanisms of Data Collection
- Forecasting and Assessment Tools
- Managing Environmental Analysis in Organizations
- Recognizing and Screening Technology Opportunities
- Role of Creativity in Innovation
- Sources of Opportunity
- How to Screen Technology Opportunities
- High Technology Product Development Strategies
- Developing and Testing a Technology Business Concept
- Outsourcing Strategies
- Metrics for Product Development
- Intellectual Property Strategy
- Generic Mechanisms for Intellectual Property Protection
- U.S. Intellectual Property System
- The Challenge of Globalization
- Moving from R & D to Operations
- Transition from R & D to Operations
- Organizational Models
- Principles and Process of Organizing
- Characteristics of Continuously Innovative Organization
- Case Studies And Applications
About the Instructor
Dr. John O. Aje is the Dean of the School of Applied Science and Technology at Thomas Edison State College, in Trenton, New Jersey. Prior to his present position, he was the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the Chair of the Technology and Engineering Management department at the University of Maryland University College. He has over thirty years’ experience in developing and delivering educational programs and training to managers at all levels in business, industry and especially in the military. He is a member of the editorial board of several professional journals such as the International Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers (IEEE) journal, "Transactions On Engineering Management"; “Procedia Computer Science” and "Technovation: The International Journal of Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Technology Management." He is the President of International Association for Management of Technology (IAMOT), the premier professional association for practitioners and academicians in the field and was a member of the Board of Examiners of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for over ten years.
Dr. Aje received his B.S. degree from Clemson University, M.S. degree from North Carolina State University, Master of Engineering Management, (M.E.M.) and D.Sc. from the George Washington University School of Engineering and Applied Science.
Course: MGM-243 Duration: 3 Days FEE: $1,499 CEUs: 2.16
Please direct any additional inquiries regarding our courses to Anita Hellstrom, Program Coordinator, by e-mail, FAX: (240) 371-4488 or TELEPHONE: (202) 241-6326.
Call toll free 1-800-683-7267 from anywhere in the Continental U.S. or CANADA.
Last modified November 4, 2013.